Setting Up Your Classroom to Triennial Preparation
Setting up Your Classroom
- Some good suggestions on several topics
- The really big list of classroom management techniques: There are classroom management techniques tailored to elementary and secondary education, discipline ideas for new and experienced teachers, tips for handling special education, suggestions for getting organized, strategies for preventing behavior problems, sample classroom rules, ways of creating a caring community, and information on new products and services.
Sexual Harassment and Special Education
- Responding to sexual harassment in special education settings: Here are sobering facts: Sexual harassment permeates the culture of American schools. The majority of students report that they have experienced sexual harassment.
- Frequently Asked Questions About Sexual Harassment of Students-From the Office of Civil Rights: Sexual harassment of students is a real and serious problem in education at all levels, including elementary and secondary schools, as well as colleges and universities. It can affect any student, regardless of sex, race, or age.
Spanish Information on Disability Topics (look for "espanol" to the right)
Special Education Research
State Education Departments
State Listings of Agencies, Disability and Parent Organizations
Strategies and tactics for effective instruction (PDF file)
Stress in Children
Assessing Stress in Children and Youth: This brief identifies characteristics of youth who may be particularly vulnerable to stress, provides two scales to measure stress among adolescents, and includes tips and resources for helping youth deal with stress. (PDF file)
Student's Guide to Jobs
- This Student's Guide to Jobs: This booklet is especially for students with significant disabilities such as mental retardation and autism.
Student's Guide to the IEP
- This guide will tell students what an IEP is, why you need to be part of your IEP team, how to help write your IEP, and much, much more!!
Summer Camps for Children with Disabilities
- Guide and listing of special education summer camps
TBI ( Traumatic Brain Injury) in Sports
- Concussion Sports
This pamphlet from the American College of Sports Medicine provides information on what may cause a concussion as well as the symptoms to look out for.
- Keep Your Head About You - - And Keep Your Kid from Losing Theirs
This resource provides a wealth of information on the impact traumatic brain injuries has on youth and professional athletes, as well as a call to action on how to make contact sports safer for everyone.
- Living with Brain Injury
This guide from the Brain Injury Association of America discusses what functions of the brain are impacted as a result of TBI.
- Concussion Toolkit for Parents, Players and Coaches
The Concussion Awareness Training Tool provides a wealth of information on how to provide support to children who have suffered a concussion.
- HEADS UP to Youth Sports: Online Training
This online course from the CDC offers student athletes, parents, coaches and educators the opportunity to learn a broad range of TBI topics, including how to prevent and respond to these injuries.
Teacher Checklists for Students with Disabilities
- Checklists for Teachers: This site features mentor teachers, teaching techniques, strategies, checklists and researches on how to teach students with Learning Disabilities. The article on this site that pertains to the aforementioned topic is, The ADD/ADHD Checklist.
- Checklists for students with learning disabilities: This site contains observational checklists that help one determine a child's strengths and/or weaknesses. This is a valuable resource to bring to an IEP meeting or a parent/teacher conference.
Technical Assistance Guide: Helping Students with Cognitive Disabilities Find and Keep a Job
Terminology Used in Special Education
- Extensive source and easy to manage
Test Modifications and Accommodations
- Accommodations and Modifications of Test Administration Procedures for Statewide Assessments-an example of one state's standards
- 20 ways to examine test modifications
- Accommodation strategies
- The diverse classroom
- Accommodation checklist
Test Publishers in Special Education
The Teacher's Guide - Lesson plans, thematic units, book activities, teacher freebies, children's songs, and more.
Guidelines for establishing and maintaining token economies: This site provides the steps in planning the token economy system, behaviors to be targeted, effective reinforcers and the administration of the plan.
This site defines the Token Economy System, and its three levels: Points, Progress and Merit. : school use of a behavior management system utilizing a token economy.
This site describes the token economy system, how to use behavior token economies, activities and discussion questions and links to other sites regarding this topic: One of the most often used behavior management techniques, especially in settings for students who have learning or behavioral difficulties, is the token economy system. A token economy involves awarding tokens, chips, stickers, points, or other items/markings to students who demonstrate desired behaviors identified by the teacher.
- This defines token economy, the goals of token economy, what a token economy looks like, guidelines for creating and using token economy systems: Token economies are one type of secondary (conditioned) reinforcement. That is, tokens begin as essentially neutral stimuli, of little significance in and of themselves. However, as the tokens become increasingly associated with the reinforcers for which they are exchanged, the tokens themselves can become mildly reinforcing, making learning that much more motivating.
FAQ about Tourette's Syndrome
Interesting facts about Tourettes
Tourette's Syndrome in adult life
Medical progress-PDF file
Tourette's Syndrome pen pals
Educating peers about Tourette's Syndrome
School care plan-PDF file
School based occupational therapy services for children with Tourettes-PDF file
Educating children with Tourette's Syndrome
Tips on dealing with Tics in the classroom
Resource guide for teachers on Tourette's Syndrome-PDF file
Guide to the diagnosis and treatment of Tourettes
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Information page
Tourette's Syndrome in the classroom-a teacher's personal story
Transition Planning Timelines for Students with Disabilities
Planning for terrific transitions. This guide/training package focuses on the need to facilitate children's transition to kindergarten. It's designed to help transition-to-school teams improve their transition processes through more effective planning, implementation, and evaluation.The training package includes the trainer's guide, a participant's guide, a CD with all the transparencies needed, and a copy of all the handouts necessary for the training.