Week in Review - October 27, 2023
NASET's WEEK IN REVIEW
October 27, 2023 | Vol 19 Issue #43
Welcome to NASET's WEEK in REVIEW. Here, we provide you with the latest publications from NASET to read and or download, as well as some of the most interesting articles that have happened this week in the field of special education. We hope you enjoy this publication.
Feel free to send us articles for this publication or let us know your thoughts about the WEEK in REVIEW at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great weekend!
WHATS NEW AT NASET
NASET's Diagnosis of Students with Disabilities and Disorders Series
Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
Screening and Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Developmental screening can be done by several professionals in health care, community, and school settings. However, primary health care providers are in a unique position to promote children’s developmental health.
Primary care providers have regular contact with children before they reach school age and can provide family-centered, comprehensive, coordinated care, including a more complete medical assessment when a screening indicates a child is at risk for a developmental problem.
Top Stories of the Week
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE WEEK
Joanna Blau, Lane Mueller, Ellen Kay, Tricia Pagliuca, Patsy Ray, Debbie Alford, Kelly Duenckel, Laura Larimore, Dana Marshall, Nellie Ferdinandtsen, Andrea Bonnano, Cindi Maurice, Lauro Esquilona III, Kelly Silchuck, Martha Spennato, Mary Bauer, Tracey Christilles, Karen Frantz-Fry, Katrina Snider, and Faith Odiase who all knew the answer to last week's trivia question:
Huey Lewis, Whoopi Goldberg, Rob Lowe, Bill Clinton, Halle Berry, Pete Townshend, Jane Lynch, and Stephen Colbert are all famous people that have what type of loss or impairment?
Answer: HEARING IMPAIRMENT
This week's trivia question:
Founded in 1829, this was the first school for the blind established in the United States. John Dix Fisher first considered the idea of a school for children who were blind based upon his visits to Paris at the National Institute for the Blind and was inspired to create such a school in Boston. What is the school name?
If you know the answer to this week's trivia questions, email it to us at email@example.com by October 30, 2023. If you are correct, you will be acknowledged in next week's NASET's Week in Review
Latest Job Listings on NASET
* High School Assistant Principal (Queens) - The Assistant Principal is the assistant instructional leader and is ultimately responsible for assisting the Principal in ensuring that the school provides students with the skills, knowledge and experience necessary to succeed academically and socially. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teacher - We are seeking a Special Education teacher for Thresholds High School! Thresholds High School is an Illinois State Board of Education certified Therapeutic Day School for students ages 16 to 21 years old with ongoing serious mental health needs. The Thresholds High School provides a distinct combination of flexibility and support in order to help students achieve both their high school diploma and their transition goals. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teacher - Certified Special Education Teacher develops and provides specialized instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities under the direction of the campus Principal and Superintendent with direct support from the program coordinator. Thie role also requires the evaluation and assessment of student progress against instructional objectives; follows State mandate due process procedures and functions as IEP manager to assigned students. To learn more- Click here
* [Immediate Hire] Middle School Math Learning Specialist - Reporting to the Academic Dean, the Middle School Math Learning Specialist will be responsible for building meaningful relationships with students, implementing a Common Core-aligned curriculum, and working with their grade team to analyze data to drive instruction. This is an exciting opportunity for an educator who is passionate about improving student outcomes by leading excellent instruction and building a positive school culture. To learn more- Click here
* [Immediate Hire] High School Science Learning Specialist - will be responsible for building meaningful relationships with students, implementing a Common Core-aligned curriculum, and working with their grade team to analyze data to drive instruction. This is an exciting opportunity for an educator who is passionate about improving student outcomes by leading excellent instruction and building a positive school culture. To learn more - Click here
* SY23-24 MS Behavior, Academics, and Social Education (BASE) Inclusion Teacher - The Special Education BASE Teacher ensures that students’ Behavior Intervention Plans are implemented, proactively teaches students the necessary skills to access instruction, serves as a case manager, assesses and monitors students’ progress, and collaborates with parents and other school staff. To learn more- Click here
* Teacher- Exceptional Education- Self Contained- Autism/ID/ED - Interested in creating a better tomorrow? Apply to be a TUSD (Tucson Unified School District) teacher today. Tucson Unified School District is the best place in Southern Arizona for you to begin or continue a rewarding and meaningful teaching career. As one of the largest employers in Tucson, we have a superior offering of teaching opportunities that you will not find in other districts in the region. To learn more- Click here
* [Immediate Hire] 6th Grade ELA Learning Specialist - Reporting to the Academic Dean, the 6th Grade ELA Learning Specialist will be responsible for providing tailored support to students with special education needs, through integrated co-teaching, in small group settings, or a combination of both. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned educator who is passionate about ensuring all students succeed and thrive in school.To learn more- Click here
* Teacher-Exceptional Education - Self Contained - Autism/ID/ED - Effectively manage the learning environment to prepare lesson plans, instruct students, evaluate and monitor students’ performance in order to advance student achievement. Understand and appreciate diversity. Work collaboratively with a team to plan instruction. Demonstrate commitment to continuous learning. To learn more - Click here
* Special Education Teacher - Maxim Healthcare Staffing is partnered with a school in Lexington, MA who is currently seeking a Special Education Teacher to assist them on an ongoing contract. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teachers - Successful candidate must be able to plan, organize, and implement an appropriate instructional program in an environment that prepares students for lives as informed and engaged citizens in a global society. To learn more- Click here
* Intervention Specialist - Special Education Teacher (2023-2024 School Year) - $4,000 SIGN ON BONUS - Breakthrough Public Schools (BPS) is seeking Intervention Specialist - Special Education Teachers for the 2023-24 school year. Teaching at Breakthrough Public Schools is a rewarding experience where dedicated staff work to impact more than 3,000 students across 10, tuition-free, schools serving grades K-8. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teacher - Propel Schools - Propel Schools is the largest network of public charter schools in Allegheny County consisting of 13 schools and approximately 4,000 scholars. Our mission is to provide high-quality schools to underserved communities. Each of our schools provide a rigorous academic environment and small class sizes where educators focus on providing each scholar with support and individualized attention. To learn more- Click here
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
When someone tells me "no," it doesn't mean I can't do it, it simply means I can't do it with them.
Karen E. Quinones Miller
Return to Week in Review Main Page - Click here