Week in Review - January 13, 2023
NASET's WEEK IN REVIEW
January 13, 2023 | Vol 19 Issue #2
Hi NASET Member!
Welcome to NASET's WEEK in REVIEW. It's our second week with our new look & layout for 2023. We have gotten a few comments, and we thank you for your responses! If there are any more comments please let us know what you think - firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the latest articles for this week. We hope you have a great weekend!
WHATS NEW AT NASET
NASET’s Bullying of Children Series
Stigmatizing Disability Using Ableist Language: Effects
This issue of NASET’s Bullying of Children series was written by Kathy Ryder, a graduate stiudent from the University of South Florida. More than 10 percent of the world’s population is classified globally as disabled (www.disabled-world.com), and this percentage increases annually. Disabilities make a child more vulnerable to maltreatment. One bulwark against maltreatment is an aware, pro-active school system using an inclusive approach to education. Inclusion is just one tool used against discrimination. However, while attempts are made to weed out ableist language from the classroom and from policy, bias endures in communications. There is more acceptance now of the victim’s story.
Top Stories of the Week
TRIVIA QUESTION OF THE WEEK
Cynthia Turcotte, Cindi Maurice, Karl Anuskowitz, Karen Frantz-Fry, Lauro Esquilona III, Siasha Khanna, Dana Bowen, Joanna Blau, Katrina Snider, and Lynne Shields
who all knew the answer to last week's trivia question:
According to the latest research, up to what percentage of children with autism have trouble with their sleep?
Answer: 50 to 80%
The Trivia Question of the Week will return on
January 20, 2023
* [2022-2023] Special Education Coordinator - This position will serve as a school resource for staff and parents with regards to special education services and regulations. The Special Education Coordinator will work closely with the Network Director of Special Education and school-based Instructional Leadership Team (ILT) to ensure implementation of special education policies and integration of student support services. To learn more- Click here
* (2022-2023) Reading Intervention Specialist - Like all DREAM employees, the Intervention Specialist should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. Candidates must also value DREAM's comprehensive approach to education and desire to make a lasting impact in underserved communities as part of a growing organization. To learn more- Click here
* Mainstream Teacher of the Deaf - Clarke students successfully mainstream into their neighborhood schools, participate in extracurricular activities and develop the cognitive, academic, social and emotional skills they need for success in school and in life. To learn more- Click here
* SPED Teacher at AIM II Transfer High School (Bronx) - TNew Visions seeks the most talented and dedicated educators to bring their skills, experience, and energy to a collaborative and innovative learning environment where teachers are empowered to meet each student's unique learning needs and open the doors to new and rich opportunities. Our teachers are dynamic and innovative pedagogues who are committed to urban students and the issues they face every day. To learn more- Click here
* Executive Director - The organization has a growing staff of more than 25 and 6 direct reports to the Executive Director. The Center provides services and support to 300-400 children and families each year. Additionally, DGC screens over 3,500 young children each year for vision loss, with 8% - 10% referred for additional evaluation by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teacher - The Ridge School, Adventist HealthCare, is hiring a full-time Teacher in Rockville, Maryland. We are currently offering a $3,000 sign-on bonus to qualified candidates! We're seeking an experienced Teacher who will embrace our mission to extend God’s care through the ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teachers $50/hr -Maxim Healthcare Staffing is looking to hire a Special Education Teacher provide quality services to special education students, kindergarten through grade 12, through a commitment to team participation in planning and implementation of student programs including special instruction, tutorial assistance and consultation with general education staff. To learn more- Click here
* Special Education Teacher-(Elementary, Middle, or High School) - The EC Teacher plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students with disabilities in a variety of educational settings. To learn more- Click here
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. - Bernard M. Baruch
Return to Week in Review Main Page - Click here