October 2012 - Special Educator e-Journal
Table of Contents
Calls to Participate
Special Education Resources
Update From The National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities
Upcoming Conferences and Events
Funding Forecast and Award Opportunities
Book Review: Teacher Like Your Hair's On Fire: The Methods and Madness Inside Room 56-- By Heather Johnson, Florida International University
Let Them Read With You: Support for the Inclusion of Children with Autism in Classroom Reading Programs-- Written by Lola Gordon, Ed.S.
Download a PDF or XPS Version of This Issue
NASET Sponsor - Arkansas State University
To learn more click on the image above or - Click here
NASET Members - Login Below to access the latest Special Educator e-Journal.
Site visitors: You may access a sample e-Journal - Sample e-Journal
Latest Employment Opportunities Posted on NASET
Dover, NH 100 Education Way
Job Category: Temporary
Working in partnership with Innovation Lab, Content Design and Development, and Publishing, the Accessibility Manager will build team knowledge around all aspects of accessibility. The Accessibility Manager will serve as a team leader and will establish and refine procedures that support specialized activities performed by the team. The Accessibility Manager will be an on-site expert who can speak with authority about accessibility, is the "go-to" person, and can speak to the industry and the public with deep knowledge about the services we provide. The Accessibility Manager is positioned to identify new opportunities that expand our accessibility capabilities and initiate research to improve Measured Progress's approaches to providing accessible content. Additional responsibilities will include the following:
- Develop and deploy procedures that support Measured Progress's accessibility goals and deliverables.
- Speak to Measured Progress's capabilities in accessibility.
- Collaborate with Innovation Lab to assure on-going knowledge transfer and participate in expanding expertise.
- Work with personnel to refine and build knowledge around accessibility.
- Collaborate with Information Technology to define requirements and enhance accessibility tools.
- Train staff members on tools, processes, and accessibility issues.
- Collaborate with Content, Design, and Development; Publishing; and others to create and maintain schedules.
- Actively engage in Measured Progress's strategic goals to support their leadership position in the area of accessible assessment content and delivery.
- Staff and develop necessary team for support of Measured Progress's accessibility goals.
- Participate in a leadership role to foster on-going collaborative environment of process and technology improvement; continued mentoring and development of staff; and strategic change management within Testing Services and Measured Progress.
- Master's degree in Education, preferably with training in Universal Design for Learning and Special Education
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the field of accessibility and/or special education (PhD will be considered for five (5) years of experience)
Measured Progress's corporate campus is located 65 miles north of Boston in the New Hampshire Seacoast region. Measured Progress offers an exceptional benefits package and work environment, featuring on-site child care and gym facilities, generous paid time off and retirement savings plans, and immediate eligibility for health, dental, vision and life insurance.
As an EOE/AA employer, Measured Progress openly encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds.
All interested applicants apply online
Randolph, Massachusetts 02368
Job Category: Full Time
The May Institute
The May Center for Child Development in Randolph is looking for a Special Education Teacher to work in a classroom setting taking on lead responsibilities and providing services to children and adolescents with autism or other developmental disabilities.
- Providing coordination and leadership of the classroom
- Designing an individualized curriculum, writing educational plans, collecting and evaluating data, and writing student progress reports
- Delivering individualized and group instruction and other educational objectives
- Implementing comprehensive behavior support plans
- Training and supervising other teachers and classroom assistants
- Master's degree (or enrollment in a Master's program)
- Certification in moderate or severe special education or working towards certification
- Experience in ABA preferred
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Commitment to helping children with significant challenges learn and grow
The May Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Category: Private Teacher
My son has several diagnoses... SPD, ASD and Aspergers. Who knows which is most acurate. Not sure it matters. I need someone that understands he is moving so he can pay attention not because he is being disobient. He also makes vocal sounds on a regular basis. You will have to be tolerant. His need for moving is like the need for oxygen. We have a playground and trampoline, plenty of area to fun and climb or swim. It doesn't matter in which fashion he learns (while swimming, running, etc) as long as he is having fun.
As you can imagine he has had difficulty in typical private schools, so that is why we have chosen to home school. Learning can be fun... handson... I just need to find that person capable of doing that.
He is an 8 year old boy that is ALL boy. He is our angel.. and we love him beyond belief.
I would like someone to push him beyond grade level in Math. That's the good thing about homeschool, you can be on different grade levels in different subjects.
He is in several therapies which could take place after school, or before.
I am thinking that perhaps 4 hours may be all that is needed to teach curriculum.
He has advanced remarkably in FastForward. I have tons of equipment and supplies for the new teacher.
Times are flexible but I do prefer early mornings to early afternoons. (perhaps 8-11 or 12) Please email questions and salary requirement.
The person we seek will be a Christian, have a huge amount of patience, and someone that will make learning a fun adventure.
Flexible hours. Nice home to work in.
Email is best: