August 2010 - Special Educator e-Journal
NASET Members - Login Below to access the latest Special Educator e-Journal.
Site visitors: You may access a sample e-Journal - Sample e-Journal
Table of Contents
Update from the U.S. Department Education-Early Learning Initiative
Calls to Participate
Update From The National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities
Special Education Resources
Upcoming Conferences, Workshops, and Events
Funding Forecast and Award Opportunities
Download a PDF Version of This Issue
NASET Sponsor - Mayer Johnson
To learn more click on the image above or - Click here
Latest Job Listings
Speech Language Therapist with proper ADE and DHS certification
UESD is a small school district seeking a Speech Language Therapist/Pathologist for the 2010-2011 school year. Position and duties include:
- Administering speech and language assessments to evaluate skill level, interpreting speech and language evaluations.
- Assesses progress, provides instruction consistent with student’s IEP, plans using strategies, methods and materials appropriate to the learner’s abilities, needs and learning style
- Maintains IEP data for measuring progress towards objectives and other required district and compliance documentation.
- Schedules students for services, coordinates IEP meetings with related service providers when appropriate
- Attends IEP meetings
- Consults with general education teachers regarding student readiness, progress and management.
- Be able to implement IEP in compliance with IDEA
Must hold proper Arizona Department of Education and Arizona Department of Health Services Certification and Licensure.
Please visit our website and fill out an application at: http://unionesd.org/index.cfm?pID=2174. Print the form, complete the form, and submit the application by faxing it, mailing it, or dropping it off at the number and address below.
Human Resource Department
Union Elementary School District #62
3834 South 91st Avenue
Tolleson, Arizona 85353
Phone: (623) 478-5005
Fax: (623) 478-5006
Temporary Certified Special Education Teacher
At St. Vincent’s Health Services, the commitment to providing patients and employees with the highest standards of care is at the heart of all we do. As an employer, we value all of our staff and have a strong commitment to development, diversity, and work-life balance. With exciting new leadership and a culture that promotes quality, respect and continual learning, there’s never been a better time to join our growing family! St. Vincent’s Special Needs Services, Trumbull Campus, is currently seeking a TEMPORARY CERTIFIED SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER, TEMPORARY DAYS 8AM-3:30PM MON-FRI, Scheduled to end 12/30/10.
Certified special education teacher will work with students with multiple disabilities and complex medical conditions; develop, submit and implement weekly schedule for the class that meets the guidelines outlined on the standard schedule as well as appropriate lesson plans for each activity; lesson plans should incorporate individual goals and include, at a minimum, instructions for individual positioning, cueing, equipment, etc; effectively displaying enthusiasm and high energy level when interacting with students; incorporate therapeutic and health recommendations appropriately into activities and routines; and supervise assigned assistants. Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s preferred.
If you are looking for a change, a challenge, attractive compensation and immediate benefits, then consider joining St. Vincent’s today! We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply online at www.stvincents.org
Director of Special Education
Anywhere in the United States
Responsible for the development and creation of Edison’s Special Education programs and services and ensuring its effectiveness against federally mandated requirements for Special Education.
- Examine and review curriculum and instructional methodology for K-12 programs and services
- Advise Executive Director of Student Support Services regarding all K-12 programs and services within the Edison system
Monitor and ensure all federal compliance elements or correct in all schools and programs
- Provide support to all regional Special Education leaders and Special Education Coordinators at school sites
- Provide technical assistance to all schools in the areas of IDEA, NCLB, 504 and related services
- Conduct reviews of special education programs at the local level to ensure compliance and appropriate IEPs.
- Attend national, state and local conventions and conferences to maintain current information on Special Education
- Review data from schools and programs to make recommendations for professional growth, planning and developing action plans for achievement gains
- Create and deliver professional development for Edison school sites.
- Create and disseminate manuals and handbooks to support all Special Education staff and departments.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge regarding IDEA rules, procedures and policies for Special Education at federal, state and local levels.
- Create and deliver RtI model to all staff
- Provide support and guidance in the areas of transition and EBD services
- Works closely with the Director of ELL. Principals, regional and local special education staff. Collaborates with other EdisonLearning headquarter departments.
Key Behavioral Competencies
- Frequent and regular contact with schools, staff and clients to foster and promote achievement in students.
- Maintain support for the IEP process for learning gains in all students with special needs.
- Establishes and implement best practices for Edison work processes and standards.
- Knowledge of research-based K-12 reading, writing and mathematics curriculum.
- Leads initiatives to take action to address failures and seeks to improve outcomes through analyzing current data.
Builds and maintains a team approach with all stockholders.
- A Master’s Degree or higher in Special Education or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Education.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in educational administration.
- Strong knowledge base of current IDEA, NCLB and 504 Legislation.
- Excellent communication skills including writing.
- Strong knowledge base in K-12 curriculum and methods of instruction, including interventions for Response to Intervention and Online Learning.
- Must be open and available to travel frequently for school support visits.
Competitive beneftis package and salary commensurate with experience.