High Point School of Bergen County
The High Point School of Bergen County specializes in educating students with emotional and behavioral difficulties, along with the related learning problems that accompany them. Since our founding in 1998, we have concentrated on implementing special education best practices that quickly and effectively lead students to meaningful positive outcomes, heightened self-worth, and ongoing success.
High Point has created a holistic student-centered education model specifically for students in grades 6–12 who are not finding success in the general education classroom due to significant learning and behavioral challenges. The High Point model seamlessly integrates academic learning, behavior modification, and healthy, high-functioning social interaction throughout the school day so that academic achievements go hand in hand with behavioral improvements as we teach students accountability for their own actions and appropriate conduct in collaborative community settings.
The cornerstones of our student-centered model include:
- A safe and structured learning environment
- A clear set of classroom norms and expectations
- One-on-one instruction and counseling
- Intensive academic interventions
- Intensive behavioral interventions
- Emphasis on evolving selfhood: self-esteem, self-regulation, self-direction, and self-respect
High Point offers all supportive services necessary to attend to our students’ social-emotional needs and meet their IEP goals.
- Speech-Language Therapy
- Individual Counseling on a Weekly Basis
- Group Counseling
- Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIPs)
- Social Work Services
- Social Skills Training
- Crisis Intervention
- Psychological Consultations
- Pediatrician Consultation