YCS May Academy
School Description and Introduction:
The YCS May Academy has been successfully serving students, ages 5-14, for over 25 years.
Our project-based curriculum engages students in the learning process and encourages them to take on more responsibility, to problem solve and to make better decisions.
Our teachers work closely with each child to give them social, emotional and academic skills. They need to experience success in and out of the classroom and when interacting with peers.
Students in grades K-8 receive academic instruction in self-contained classrooms. We use hands-on projects with all instruction.
May Academy uses a team teaching approach. Teachers, and at least two aides, prepare lessons to promote student success to meet the NJCCCS. These lessons are done for the functioning level of each student.
We use an integrated approach to learning. Social Studies, Math, Science, Language Arts, Health, Family Life, Art, Music, and Physical Education are incorporated into lessons. This enables students to learn experientially and holistically.
We serve students ages 5-14 with the following disabilities: Learning Disability, Emotional Disturbance, Speech or Language Impairment, Other Health Impairment, and Multiple Disabilities.
YCS Schools are proud to provide a strong, balanced clinical and academic program which works to meet the needs of the whole child by offering:
- Individual therapy and small group counseling sessions each week
- An individualized education curriculum that is tailored to meet the specific learning style of each student
- Multi-sensory instruction that includes:
- Speech/Language Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Education
- Physical Therapy
- Personalized, direct assistance for each family to help secure community resources as needed
- Low student to staff ratio- (3:1)
- Opportunities to participate in an array of activities including the annual YCS Blossoms Art Exhibition, ESY Summer Program and in-school performances.