Your Selected Job Posting
Teacher-IDEA Public Schools-HoustonJuly 19, 2021
Special Education Teacher -Full Time
Special Education Teacher Responsibilities:
- Adapt lessons to meet the needs of students. Support coordination of related services for students on their caseload. Develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs)
- Implement IEPs, assess students’ performance, and track their progress.
- Update IEPs throughout the school year to reflect students’ progress and goals.
- Assess students’ skills to determine their needs and to develop teaching plans.
- Collect and analyze student data in order to make effective decisions to maximize achievement.
- Discuss student’s progress with parents, teachers, counselors, and administrators.
- Prepare and help students transition from grade to grade and after graduation.
- Implement state learning standards and IDEA curricula and assessments to meet ambitious academic expectations.
- Submit weekly lesson plans two weeks in advance for feedback.
- Implement formal and informal assessments to track each individual student’s progress and learning needs, adjust lesson plans accordingly and update gradebook weekly.
- Communicate students’ progress with student and family on a weekly basis.
- Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student achievement and manage work related tasks.
- Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to campus- wide initiatives while developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom.
- Help shape and develop a school wide culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student.
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect for the communities in which they identify.
- Host necessary tutoring sessions to meet all students’ needs.
- Participate in weekly manager check-ins, grade-level meetings, before and after-school duties, and school wide meetings and functions.
- Engage in summer and year-long district, school and personal learning and development.
- Minimum of 40+ hours spent at school per week.
- Additional responsibilities may include: after-school tutoring or Saturday school and are based on the needs of our scholars.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Experience: Experience in a Special Education classroom setting with students who have significant disabilities
- Licenses or Certifications: valid state certification in Special Education and content is required
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage student behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to adjust and adapt to a multitude of situations in the school environment
- Ability to facilitate Admission, Review and Dismissal meetings
- Strong family engagement and communication
- Record of results for students who are academically at risk
- Oversee the daily work and responsibilities of a Special Education Co-Teacher (para-professional) in the RISE classroom.
- Starting teacher salary in Greater Houston is $56,000 with a stiped for Sped teacher that totals to 5500.00
- This role is also eligible for various stipend opportunities and incentives through our Teacher Career Pathway. For more information about our total rewards, visit our benefits page.
- Additional hourly compensation is provided for after school tutoring or Saturday school as assigned
Talent Recruiter, IDEA Public Schools