Your Selected Job Posting
Director of Special EducationMay 21, 2021
The Director of Special Education is a member of the school’s leadership team and reports directly to the Executive Director with responsibility for planning, directing, and coordinating the delivery of school-wide special education and related services in compliance with state regulations and federal laws. The Director of Special Education provides leadership and coordination to ensure the overall design and implementation of individualized educational programs and support services that provide Banneker students with the support needed to grow in academic skill and social emotional awareness.
The Director of Special Education will lead a team of motivated teachers that supports our community, offering services to students (English Language Learning, Speech Pathology, OT, PT), and managing the SPED Assessment team.
The Director of Special Education organizes professional development on specific topics related to serving students in a culturally affirming way, in support of their social emotional learning and with a vision of the students abilities rather than deficits. As an advocate for students with special needs, the Director of Special Education will engage with parents, teachers, students and school leaders on matters related to serving each student’s needs.
The Director of Special Education will contribute to the overall culture of the school as a collaborative agent of change committed to progressive school improvement and meeting the needs of all students in a rigorous academic environment.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented with demonstrable experience managing many moving parts and consistently delivering on time
- Deep experience in special education in an elementary school setting
- Ability to communicate and engage with a diverse and inclusive community of educators, families and students
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-performing, sometimes unpredictable environment
- Enjoy working with and for children in grades K – 6
- Master’s Degree or higher in education with a concentration in special education administration and/or a related field
- Massachusetts Administrator of Special Education certification
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience in special education
- Massachusetts special education teacher certification
- Experience in special education administrative role
- Experience and training in the supervision and evaluation of teachers
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
- Demonstrate leadership qualities, interpersonal skills and characteristics necessary for working effectively with students, teachers, parents and other administrators
- Ability to support and nurture a diverse multicultural atmosphere that enhances individual growth and promotes positive self-image
Staff members are provided with a competitive salary, full benefits, and a working environment that includes the necessary technology and resources to succeed. You will join a team of like-minded professionals working to achieve the same mission.