Your Selected Job Posting
Special Education Teacher (All Specializations)April 27, 2021
Teacher (2021-22 School Year)
We are looking for highly motivated and skilled Special Education Teachers to join our team at District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS). We are primarily hiring for several Inclusion/Resource classrooms as well as Communication and Education Supports (Autism) classrooms. We seek individuals who are passionate about transforming the DC school system and making a signiﬁcant diﬀerence in the lives of our students with special educational needs.
DCPS serves more than 51,000 students in the nation's capital through the eﬀorts of approximately 4,000 educators in 118 schools. As part of a comprehensive reform eﬀort to become the preeminent urban school system in America, DCPS intends to have the highest-performing, best paid, most satisﬁed, and most honored educator force in the nation and a distinctive central oﬃce staﬀ whose work supports and drives instructional excellence and signiﬁcant achievement gains for DCPS students.
Special Education candidates who commit to teaching at one of our RISE schools are eligible to receive a signing bonus of up to $2,500 for the 2021-22 school year if they are hired by June 1, 2021.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Possesses or is eligible for a valid District of Columbia Teaching License issued by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).
- Successful completion of Praxis I and II exams (unless already holding a standard teaching license).
- Strong instructional skills and classroom management.
- Enthusiasm for and demonstrated mastery of subject matter.
- Unrelenting commitment to students, self, and school’s constant learning and development.
- Ability to self-reflect on teaching practices and be responsive to feedback.
As an employee of DC Public Schools you are eligible for the following benefits:
- Health Insurance
- HMO (Aetna, Kaiser Permanente, or United HealthCare)
- PPO (Aetna)
- POS (United HealthCare)
- Dental and Optical Insurance (Plans provided by the Washington Teachers’ Union)
- Other Insurance:
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Teacher’s Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts (for dependent care & health care)
- 403(b) Tax Sheltered Annuities
- DC Teachers Federal Credit Union
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Loan Cancellation or Deferment
- AT&T Discount Program for District of Columbia Employees
- Employer Assisted Housing Program (Up to $11,500 for first-time homebuyers in DC)
- HUD Good Neighbor Next Door Program (50% off the list price for HUD homes)
- Discounted memberships to Washington Sports Clubs