Your Selected Job Posting
Intermediate School District 917 is seeking an exceptional leader to serve as SuperintendentFebruary 12, 2021
About Intermediate School District 917
Intermediate School District 917 is one of four intermediate school districts in Minnesota created by the Minnesota Legislature in the late 1960s. The ISD 917 School Board was organized in March 1970, and is comprised of one board member from each of the nine member school districts. Currently, member districts include Bloomington, Burnsville-Eagan-Savage, Farmington Area, Hastings, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville Area, Randolph, South St. Paul, and West St. Paul-Mendota Heights-Eagan Area.
Points of Pride
- Highly responsive to the needs of our member school districts, including development of infrastructure, programs and services.
- Collaborative and cooperative relationships with member district leadership teams and superintendents.
- Exponential growth in special education.
- Well-managed and with a long history of responsible fiscal management; stable and long-standing business office staff.
- Talented and capable district staff and leadership team.
- School Board members representing the nine member districts are experienced, efficient, and empathetic.
ISD 917’s School Board seeks a superintendent who:
- Has broad experience in school system administration with knowledge of career/technical and special education.
- Develops trust and works collaboratively with diverse groups of stakeholders, including others in leadership positions.
- Possesses strong written, verbal, listening, and digital communication skills.
- Has the ability to anticipate future trends and issues affecting career/technical and special education.
- Is visible and accessible to the School Board, staff, students, parents, and communities.
- Has proven experience with equity leadership challenges and opportunities.
- Understands and advocates for students and families who access Alternative Learning Centers for academic success.
- Develops and directs an effective leadership team.
- Has knowledge of and experience with the Minnesota legislative process, and is proficient in conveying to legislators the needs of career/technical and special education.
Intermediate School District 917 has 10 programs and three care and treatments across 27 sites. This includes three leased spaces, one owned, and agreements with other entities for the remainder of occupied spaces. Additional district statistics are provided below:
- Student enrollment: 1,937
- Licensed staff members: 228
- Non-licensed staff members: 290
- Principals/Assistant Principals/Deans: 14
- Full-time District administrative staff: 21
- A nine-member board is appointed to represent each of the member school districts.
- ISD 917 contracts out for both food service and transportation services.
Announce Vacancy February 12, 2021
Application Deadline 11:59 p.m. March 16, 2021
Applicant Screening March 17 - 23, 2021
First Round Interviews March 25 and 26, 2021
Second Round Interviews March 29, 2021
Approve Contract April 6, 2021
Superintendent Begins July 1, 2021
Salary and Benefits
The current superintendent’s base salary for the 2020-2021 school year is $198,459. The final salary will be negotiated commensurate with experience and qualifications. The contract length is negotiable as provided in Minnesota statute.
District Financial Highlights
General Fund Revenue: $44.6 million
General Fund Expenditures: $45.0 million
Unreserved Fund Balance: $9.76 million
Total General Fund Balance: $9.74 million
A team from the Minnesota School Boards Association has been selected to assist the School Board in securing and screening applicants. The search team will be facilitated by Barb Dorn, MSBA Director of Leadership Development and Executive Search.
Deadline and Selection
MSBA’s Executive Search Service uses an online application process. Applicants begin the application process at mnmsba.myrevelus.com. Applicants will need to establish a username and password to log on. To be considered for this position, an applicant’s completed file must be received by MSBA prior to 11:59 p.m. on March 16, 2021, and must include the completed online application and the following uploaded documents:
- Cover letter indicating a desire to be a candidate for the Intermediate School District 917 Superintendent.
- Legal proof or other evidence (i.e., certificate/license) showing the candidate’s qualification to be a superintendent in the state of Minnesota.
- Set of up-to-date credentials, including a resume, three to five letters of recommendation, and a copy of the candidate’s transcript(s).
- Upon hire, official transcripts must be submitted to the school district.
Contact Barb Dorn at 507-508-5501 (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions. Please mark any correspondence and/or envelopes “Intermediate School District 917 Superintendent Search.”
View or Download Superintendent Search Brochure - Click here
Applicants are requested not to contact school board members.
Intermediate School District 917 is an equal opportunity employer. The MSBA Executive Search Service is an equal opportunity search agency.