The Learning Center for the Deaf
The mission of The Learning Center for the Deaf is to ensure that deaf and hard of hearing students achieve their full potential in an educational environment where language and communication are keys to building competence, character and community.
Established in 1970, The Learning Center for the Deaf (TLC) serves a diverse population of deaf and hard of hearing students from birth to 21 years old. TLC offers a wide range of educational programs and support services to meet the needs of our students.
- An early childhood center that includes a Parent Infant Program and preschool.
- A day program for students from kindergarten through middle school.
- A high school with a rigorous academic program including AP level courses, a residential option, and the Career Technology Program.
- After school and athletic programs for Elementary, Middle and High School students.
- A comprehensive intensive program that includes physical and occupational therapy as well as life skills classes are available for students with more complex developmental or learning challenges.
- TLC's Walden School is a 365-day residential educational treatment program for deaf youth, serving students ages 8-21 who are challenged by severe emotional and social difficulties resulting from trauma, mental illness or organic dysfunction.
Community programs include:
- A daycare program available for TLC staff and members of the deaf and local community.
- American Sign Language classes for parents and members of the community.
- Outpatient Audiology clinic which serves our student population and the community.
- The Outreach Partnership Program which addresses the needs of deaf and hard of hearing students who attend public schools.
- WrapAround provides support for families of deaf or hard of hearing children.
Through all its programs, The Learning Center provides educational and support services to over 1,000 children and adults throughout Eastern and Central Massachusetts annually. Housed in 16 buildings on more than 14 acres in Framingham Massachusetts, TLC is the largest provider of
educational services for deaf preschool and school aged children in New England and is the center of Deaf Community activities for the greater Massachusetts Deaf and hard of hearing community.
In 2010, The Learning Center for the Deaf received full accreditation from The New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), The Conference of Educational Administrators of Schools and Programs for the Deaf (CEASD), and the Council on Accreditation (COA). TLC is the only
school in the nation to hold all three.